A Travellerspoint blog

The Long and Winding Road

Friday 2nd October 2015

all seasons in one day 15 °C

We are exactly halfway through our trip today and I am pretty sure that the pace will pick up now and that time will gain momentum over the next ten weeks. For this morning the focus was on getting packed up and on our way, Which was only prolonged slightly by me starting the day with a root touch up. Choosing where to do this has depended on the available towels (the plusher and whiter they are the less likely I am to do it). Browny slightly tatty towels provided the ideal opportunity. With barely a grey hair in sight I felt prepared to face the day. Once we were ready to leave we couldn't find Ruby at first, so in the end Nigel brought the car round to reception and beeped the horn a few times which did the trick. We paid the bill with a $40 deduction for not getting any breakfast and we were on our way.

We had decided to go straight towards Swanson, which is a small town/ village west of Auckland. The road south took us past a strangely shaped hill that reminded me of a wizards hat, or something out of The Lord of the Rings.


We also drove alongside the quite swollen and muddy looking Wairoa River. The weather was quite windy and gave me a bit of a buffeting every time I got out of the car to take photos or look at the view.


We took the main route for about two thirds of the journey until we reached the town of Wellsford that we had been through a few days previously. We had already stopped in the town of Kaiwaka for a cooked meal as we weren't sure what might be available in Swanson later in the day. Once we were back in the car we turned onto highway 16 which ran further west than the main highway passing near the expansive Kaipoura Harbour


and then through the town of Helensville. At one point we passed a sculpture of the back half of a plane which turned out to be by an artist called Christian Nicholson based on the balsa wood planes he used to make as a child that always crashed after flying a short distance. It was part of a larger sculpture park which sadly we didn't have time to visit.


The road wound its way between the hills, following the valleys, and alongside farmland as we went. We ended up arriving at our destination at about 3:30pm and were greeted by our host Robert who showed us to our room. Maison de Rose was really nice and it looked as though lots of effort had been put in to making it comfortable. The weather might not have been great but at least we had somewhere to rest, get some washing done and have a good nights sleep.

Posted by Gill's Travels 02:28 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.