A Travellerspoint blog

A Wet Day in Franz Josef

Tuesday 3rd November 2015

rain 15 °C

Having done the walks we wanted to yesterday we decided to have a really relaxing time today. It was a really wet and miserable day anyway and so dark and gloomy that I didn't wake up until gone 9am. We didn't rush to get up, we could just tell it was still raining by the noise of the rain on the roof. We eventually dragged ourselves out of bed and showered and had a very late breakfast. I have still been really struggling to get up to date with the blog so I spent most of what was left of the morning doing that. We had also been trying to find an excursion for when we are in Queenstown that doesn't involve an adrenalin rush drive along precarious roads (search on the Internet for Skippers Canyon if you want to know what we didn't want to do). In the end we decided to book a private tailor made tour which would be a lot more expensive but would give us control on where we went. A quick phone call to our chosen company got a half day scenic tour booked.

Back to today, we had decided to go to the Glacier Pools that were little more than over the road from where we were staying. For less than £50 we could share a small private pool for 45 minutes and then free access to the public pools. It seemed like the ideal thing to do in a wet and miserable Franz Josef. The pool was perhaps a little smaller than we expected, it was really just a sunken jacuzzi. What was really nice is that we had our own private little cabin nicely fitted out with a changing area, loo and shower. The tub was lovely and warm and it was great sitting there surrounded by New Zealand rain forest. There was no doubting when our 45 minutes was up as the water just started to drain away, the hot tub equivalent of being at a teenage party and the parents turning the light on!


Once our time was up we went to the public pools. These were much larger and there were three of them ranging in temperature from 36 to 40 degrees. It was very relaxing and we ended up staying in there for at least another hour and a half. By then we were pretty wrinkly. We had been quite lucky because the rain had stopped shortly after we had arrived there and stayed that way until evening.


It was gone 4pm by the time we got back so we relaxed some more, did another load of washing and then got an Indian take away from the restaurant next door. We have an early start in the morning so needed to go to bed fairly early, and as we were going to have to walk to the bus stop about half a mile away, I did some packing before I went to bed.

Posted by Gill's Travels 01:42 Archived in New Zealand Tagged new_zealand franz_josef

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.