A Travellerspoint blog

Getting 'Airport Ready'

Friday 27th November 2015

storm 24 °C

Today really is the start of the next leg of our journey, as we are on our way back to Christchurch ready to catch our flights to Rarotonga tomorrow. We were intending to spend the morning in Akaroa, perhaps going to look at the museum in Okains Bay, before driving to our hotel near the airport in the afternoon. However overnight the lovely weather we had been having broke and was replaced by something much more windy and drizzly. Several things such as the outdoor parasol had been blown over during the night and showering on the deck was a bit more of a hurried affair. It was so blustery that we had to move the outside table in an attempt to get out of the wind when we were eating breakfast. As a consequence we decided to go straight to Christchurch, partly because we were concerned that trees might have been blown over blocking some of the steep and narrow roads on the peninsula. When we went to check out, Katherine wasn't able to take a credit card payment, but she offered to give us a discount for cash and so it was worth us making the short drive into town to get the money. Once we were all paid up we were able to get on our way. It was about an hour and a half drive to our hotel and despite checking in before 2pm, our room was ready when we arrived. Having dropped all of our bags off we drove the short distance to the airport to return the car. Getting back was pretty straightforward as we were able to call the hotel and get the shuttle bus back. It struck me that it is really starting to feel like Christmas is approaching what with the tree and the decorations on an old Edmund Hillary Antarctic tractor they have in reception.


We just had a quiet evening and ate in our room as neither of us particularly felt like going down to the hotel restaurant. We had to get our bags 'airport ready' after a couple of weeks driving around in a car. This didn't take too long because we had already cleared out quite a bit of stuff before leaving Akoroa but we did have to swap things around a bit in order to spread the gifts we had bought between our rucksacks as we are limited as to what we can take in the plane. Once we were all sorted it was off to bed ready for an early start in the morning.

Posted by Gill's Travels 20:01 Archived in New Zealand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.