A Travellerspoint blog

Staying Close to Home (Again)

Wednesday 2nd December 2015

sunny 30 °C

Really annoyingly I realised quite early on today that my purse was missing. I knew that I had it in the Tamarind Restaurant last night, when I got it out in order to leave a tip. We went and spoke to Angela and she rang them and worryingly they said that they didn't have it. However shortly after we returned to the bungalow to have a more thorough look, Angela came and told us that they had now found it. I was pretty relieved as we had a fair bit of cash on our preloaded card and although when Nigel checked it no money appeared to have been taken it was still a good to know it safe. We decided to go and collect it before we did anything else.

Once that was all sorted I could relax a bit, especially given that the card and all the cash was still in my purse. We drove back to Magic Reef stopping off briefly to have a look at Black Rock Beach which was another swimming/snorkelling place that had been recommended to us. It was quite different to the other places we had been to, with a large black basalt rock just off the shoreline. The tide was coming in quite rapidly and as I sat on one of the smaller boulders a wave come in and gave me a bit of a soaking. It was somewhere that we might have considered returning to but the access to the beach great and there was quite a lot of rubbish dumped in the undergrowth which put me off a bit.

Once we got back we had a late breakfast and we decided to stay near the bungalow today. We started off by walking southwards down the beach towards the nearest 'passage' through the reef.


This was quite narrow and I was surprised a few days later when I saw how quickly a boat managed to manoeuvre in and up to the jetty. Whilst we were walking we saw an egret standing in the sand.


We then walked back to the bungalow and sat watching the waves breaking on the sand. The colour of the water constantly changes and today the wind was whipping up the waves and carrying them over the reef and onto the beach.


During the afternoon we had another swim in the sea near to the bungalow but apart from that we just relaxed and did some reading. As well as looking at the fish and the coral in the water it was also fascinating, but slightly worrying, looking at the quite large bits of dead coral on the beach.


As the evening drew in we had the best sunset since arriving in the Cook Islands.


The musicians we had listened to on Monday night were playing at the Waterline Restaurant just along the beach, where we had eaten on our first night in Rarotonga. We really enjoyed our meal and the music, made all the better for the improved acoustics at the Waterline which made it easier to hear the music. Once we had finished eating we went back to the bungalow and ended the evening with a welcome cup of coffee.

Posted by Gill's Travels 19:50 Archived in Cook Islands

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.