A Travellerspoint blog

Bounty from the Sea

Thursday 3rd December 2015

sunny 30 °C

One of the things I was keen to do today was go and have a look at an art gallery that we had seen on the edge of Avarua. So mid-morning that's where we headed. We had a look at the art, but the main thing they had there were Cook Island black pearls. I had thought about buying a pearl pendant while we were on Rarotonga so I had a closer look. They only sell local cultured pearls and they can either be bought mounted or loose and they will then have them mounted or strung if that what you want. I had a look at quite a few and then went and had a look round the rest of the gallery to give me some time to ponder my potential purchase. I decided to go for it, partly as it would go with a pearl bracelet bought for me several years ago by my son Paul. I set a mental price limit and then looked at what they had within that range. Betty the assistant showed us quite a few including one that had an extra small white pearl that had formed on one side. I really liked this flaw and so we discussed it being drilled and hung from a very simple silver pin, work which could be done by tomorrow. Nigel offered to buy it for me which was very kind of him and then we left before I was tempted by anything else!

By now we were ready for some lunch so we went to a cafe near Black Rock Beach. It seemed quite strange to see all the Christmas decorations that the New Zealand owner had put on the tables and around the walls.


I don't think I will ever be able to get my head round a tropical/ summer Christmas. The food was really nice (I had locally caught fish again) but I didn't like the overall place as much as some if the other places we had been to, it just seemed to lack a bit of atmosphere. After lunch we went back to our bungalow for a couple of hours until it was a bit nearer to high tide which would make for better snorkelling. We decided to go back to Titikaveka Beach, the place we had been on Saturday. We were hoping to snorkel again but the wind and tide had stirred up the sand quite a bit and so the visibility was pretty poor. There were also large waves breaking over the reef.


Nigel persevered but I just stuck to swimming. We didn't stay on the beach too long as we wanted to get back for dinner. On the drive back I noticed again the laid back attitude to motor cycle safety on the island. One female rider was steering with one arm whilst holding a baby in the other!

We had arranged with Angela to have a meze style platter delivered to us at our bungalow this evening. This was bought by the cook and her husband and she laid the food out on one of the beachside tables.


There was a feta and tomato salad, some ika mata (raw fish salad) mussel fritters, some smoked fish, prawns, spring rolls, koftas and lots of other food besides. It was all delicious, but more than we could eat between the two of us. It was so peaceful sitting there eating with just the sound of the ocean and no one else in sight. The peace was short lived though as Nigel decided to get into the hammock hanging nearby between two coconut palms. It caused great hilarity watching him try and get in to it, and even more when he fell out. He is clearly out of practice since we were in Vietnam over 5 years ago!


Posted by Gill's Travels 23:10 Archived in Cook Islands

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.