A Travellerspoint blog

Oh I do like to be beside the Ocean!

Friday the 28th August 2015

sunny 19 °C

We got up, really looking forward to meeting up with Carrie again and seeing more of Sydney. We had breakfast in the club lounge at the hotel. The food was nice, but we felt somehow that the hotel lacked something that we were not quite able to put our finger on. Once we had eaten and got ourselves ready we made the short walk down to Jetty 3 at Circular Quay where we had arranged to meet Carrie. She was waiting there when we arrived and it was really nice to see her again. There is something special about families that means there is that extra bond even when you haven't met for years, perhaps it us the shared history, I'm not sure. Anyway it wasn't long before we were boarding the ferry to Manly. We were hoping to sit in the bow of the boat but we weren't near enough to the front of the queue and also hesitated a bit so in the end had seats at the back. We were still able to get great views of the harbour, the bridge and the opera house and of the city on both sides of the water. It also helped to give a better idea of the geography of the area and allowed us to see the relatively narrow entrance to the harbour from the sea.


It wasn't long before we docked and were making our way off with lots of other people, a mixture of day trippers and those with suitcases going to Manly for a longer stay. Carrie took us the short distance up through the main shopping street which then brought us out on the ocean side. The beach was beautiful, but Carrie knew of a smaller, quieter area called Shelly Beach so we turned right walking alongside the main beach with a view of the other sandy coves in the area of the bay.


It was surprising how small a stretch of the beach was patrolled by life guards and therefore safe for swimming. We also looked out for large lizards called water dragons that can be found on the rocks dividing the two beaches but sadly we didn't see any. Once we arrived at Shelly beach we went into the only cafe, a lively, buzzy sort of place that soon became packed out with people wanting lunch. We all had cafe frappes, and sat chatting whilst doing a bit of people watching. When we returned to the beach, Carrie and I took our shoes and socks off and VERY briefly paddled our toes in the cold water. Feet wet and sandy we started to walk back towards the main beach, shoes in hand until our feet had dried off.


Carrie knew of a pub in town which did good food so we popped in there for lunch. Once fed and watered it was quite late in the afternoon, and so we made our way back via the shops to the ferry terminal. This time we were nearer to the front of the queue, so once the gate opened I made a dash for it and managed to get us some seats at the front of the boat. By this time it had clouded over a bit and there was a strange light over the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House which gave us the excuse to take some more photographs.


Once back at Circular Quay we confirmed our arrangements for meeting up the following day before saying goodbye to Carrie. Nigel and I made our way back to the hotel. We had thought about doing some more exploring but were feeling a bit weary so decided against it. Once back in our room we realised that we didn't want to eat much. We ordered what we thought would be a light snack of sandwiches, but they turned out to be massive, with a huge plate of fries. We ate what we could manage, and then relaxed for a bit longer enjoying tha view from our room, before turning in for the night.


Posted by Gill's Travels 03:26 Archived in Australia Tagged skylines sea sydney ocean australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.