A Travellerspoint blog

In the Suburbs and the City

Tuesday 1st September 2015

sunny 18 °C

Yesterday Gary had left for work by the time the rest of us got up and I was very aware that we would be leaving Douglas Park and heading back into Sydney. We had some breakfast with Carrie and then Nigel and I re packed our bags. We had decided between us that it would make sense if we got the train that left just before 11am. Carrie kindly offered to come with us to Campbelltown and then guide us on the the right train to Sydney's Central Station from where we were going to be picked up by Julian from the Tara Guesthouse. Once we left the house with Carrie we just had time to have a quick coffee in the local cafe in Douglas Park before walking the few yards to the station. There was just time for another couple of photos before the train arrived and we all got on.


It was sadly no time at all before we arrived in Campbelltown and we had to say goodbye to Carrie. I don't think it would have taken much for either of us to have cried. Instead we tried to be brave and had a big hug, and vowed to make sure to meet up again as soon as we could.

The train we were on was a fast one and so it didn't take us long to get back into the city. With a bit if advice we managed to find the right exit and after a few minutes of confusion saw a car fitting the description of Julian's nearby. He introduced himself and loaded our bags into his car and during the short journey to Enmore he pointed out some of the landmarks and restaurants. It wasn't long before we were pulling up outside the house and being shown to our room. It is a very grand Victorian villa, as Julian put it still "a work in progress" but lovely nevertheless. It was also full of interesting art work and artefacts from their travels.


Julian's wife Brom did a bit of an orientation and gave us maps of the local area, after which we went out to explore. Our first stop was just round the corner, where we dropped off some washing at the local laundry, arranging to collect it in the morning. We then went and had lunch of tomato soup and a smoothie in a very healthy looking cafe as we both felt like something meat free and wholesome. We then carried on along the main street, past Enmore Theatre


and then turned up towards the park and church. We went by the local fire station which had some impressive street art outside


and then we went and had a quick look at the outside of St Stephen's church in Newtown where we saw our first kookaburra at close quarters. From there we made our way back towards the main street, passing more impressive street art


and then continued to wander around keeping our eye out for potential eateries for the evening. I had also spotted a shop specialising in buttons so went a bought some for my next grandmotherly knitting project. We then went and had some coffee before making our way into some of the residential street to look at some more of the Victorian domestic architecture.


Last port of call was at Cow and the Moon, a gelato shop that beat the Italians at their own game in the 2014 Gelato World Tour in Rimini. I have to say it was absolutely delicious, and I got the feeling we would be back.

We then went back to the Tara Guesthouse where we just relaxed for a couple of hours. At about 7ish we went out to a local Turkish restaurant called the Sultan's Table. There was nothing fancy about the food but it was delicious and although we had mistakenly only ordered one mixed grill between the two of us, there was plenty to eat. Once we had finished we went back to Cow and the Moon and had lovely Italian coffee with some small pastries for dessert. By then we were tired and full up and so made our way back to our B&B to relax for a while before bed.

Today after a delicious breakfast we went to get the bus into Sydney city centre. We got off near Circular Quay and then walked back round by the Opera House were we sat and had coffee and enjoyed the view.


Then we went for a walk in the large Botanic Gardens. There were lots of Australians out jogging and enjoying the sunshine despite it being midweek. We stopped there to have some lunch and were entertained by some large Australian White Ibis who were doing their best to steal people's food and clear up after they left.


In the afternoon we went back to Circular Quay and caught the Hop on Hop off tourist bus. We decided to do the full circuit and just enjoyed seeing the sights and listening to the commentary. It took us to lots of places in the city that we hadn't had time to visit including Darling Harbour and The Rocks.


We then stayed on long enough to get back to the Queen Victoria Building which is a beautiful shopping arcade that was at risk of demolition a few years ago. It has since been restored and is packed with smart shops and cafes.


We decided to have afternoon tea rather than go out again in the evening. We again seemed to end up with just one portion but there was loads of food, plenty for the two of us, with the added bonus of costing us half as much as we thought it would. Once we left the arcade we went and did a little bit of shopping before walking the short distance to the bus stop and making our journey back to Enmore. We had another quiet night in, just enjoying relaxing and chilling out, knowing that we would need to be up quite early in the morning to make our way to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

Posted by Gill's Travels 03:43 Archived in Australia Tagged sydney australia enmore

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.