A Travellerspoint blog

Byron Bay Beachside

Sunday 13th September 2015

sunny 24 °C

I woke up having had a great nights sleep, kept cool in the Byron Bay warmth by the ceiling fan in the bedroom. The bathroom arrangements in our accommodation was a little strange in that it is off the downstairs living/ kitchen area separated by an open bamboo screen. Alright for couples happy to share the most intimate aspects of their lives. We relied on hints to each other that the other person might want to go and watch the TV in the bedroom if we wanted a bit more bathroom privacy!


The shower was lovely though and took me back to our first hotel in Bali where the it was was also outside. It was nice hearing the stream running through our little back garden and the bird noises as you were having a shower.


We intended to go out for breakfast as we hadn't really bought any more supplies. We were perhaps a little late getting out so by the time we arrived at the Byron Bay Beach Cafe they had just stopped serving and we would have had to wait at least half an hour before they were taking lunch orders. Instead we decided to have an early lunch at the adjoining take away. They were frustratingly inefficient and kept getting muddled with their orders but eventually our food came out and it was delicious and worth the wait. We had intended to go for a walk at Cape Byron with its lighthouse followed by some time spent on the beach. When we drove up to the lighthouse we couldn't find anywhere to park, so eventually gave up and drove down to Wategos Beach. It was pretty busy, with lots of surfers, so finding somewhere to park was a bit of a struggle but eventually we found a spot just up the hill past the beach.

Then all we needed to do was settle down to relax and enjoy the sun and the surf.


I spent most of the time on the sand whilst Nigel sat nearby taking advantage of a bit of shade. I read my book for a while before going in the sea. It seemed pretty safe with lots of swimmers including children in amongst the surfers. The sea was a really nice temperature and so there was no nasty shock when the waves washed in. The beach was very gently shelving and so it was quite hard to get in to swim. The difference in the height of the water between and during a wave must have been about a metre or more and there was a bit of an undertow. Watching the locals, they just waited until a big wave came along and dived into the surf letting the water wash over their heads, but I wasn't feeling that brave despite being a real water lover. It was great watching the surfers although I was a little envious of their energy and expertise.


By mid-afternoon we had both had enough of sitting on the beach and so decided to have another go at parking up by the lighthouse. Fortunately this time we were more lucky and quickly found a space. As soon as we got out of the car, we could see a few people looking out to sea. Sure enough probably about half a kilometre out, but still near enough to clearly identify them, were a number of humpback whales travelling south with their young. We watched them for ages, looking out for the telltale sight of their spouts, usually followed by breaching, spy-hopping and lob tailing before diving again. It was fascinating watching them although my attempts at photographing them was not very successful as they were really too far out for my camera to capture. Eventually most past by and were out of sight.


We carried on looking round Cape Byron,including taking in the great view of Tallow Beach which we had previously taken a look at on our way up to Byron Bay. We could also see the headland and Little Wategos Beach.


Whilst there we stopped at the cafe and had an coffee, so by the time we had done all of this the hour we were allowed to park was up and we needed to return to the car. We decided that neither of us was hungry enough to go out for an evening meal, although we did stop for an ice cream which we ate on the beach watching the sunset for the second night running. We also saw a couple of dolphins swimming about in the surf. Before going back to our accommodation we went and bought some bread and a couple of other bits and pieces so that we could have an evening snack whilst relaxing until we felt ready for bed.

Posted by Gill's Travels 06:00 Archived in Australia Tagged beaches sea australia whales byron_bay

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.