A Travellerspoint blog

Rain Forest and Waterfalls

Tuesday 15th September 2015

sunny 19 °C

We had a really comfortable nights sleep in our Tambourine Mountain accommodation. The haze which had partially obscured the view from our room when we arrived had cleared quite a lot and was lovely to wake up to.


Breakfast was a relaxed affair, a cooked breakfast with not too much food and lots of great conversation with our hosts Cheryl and Richard and our fellow guests. I was quite keen to go and look at some waterfalls and do some walking som we were given some advice by Richard as to some of the best short walks. Tambourine Mountain is essentially a plateau so once you have driven up there it is relatively flat. Some of the creek walks go down the escarpment a bit but not enough to make the walks tricky.

Once we had finished eating we drove the short distance to the Knoll section of the Tambourine National Park. When we parked the car there were only a couple of other vehicles which gave us hope that it would be quite peaceful on our walk. We a started off by looking at the viewpoint before descending through the rain forest.


Some of the trees were amazing to look at and having been to another few national parks we were able to recognise a few such as the strangler fig.


From there the path wound down to the creek bed. There wasn't much water visible so didn't bode well for how much might be flowing over the waterfall. After about 45 minutes we reached the top of the Cameron Falls which looked pretty unimpressive from there.


We crossed the creek and up some steps and before long reached a lookout with views of the falls. As I suspected there wasn't a great deal of water, but there was some and we spent some time taking photographs and admiring the view.


From the lookout the path headed back along the creek with several easy crossings before we rejoined the original track. At one point we saw a massive tree that must have fallen over at some point due to high winds or disease.


The rainforest was lovely and was the first we had walked in that wasn't part of a tourist trail and was all the better for it.

By the time we got back to the car we had walked a couple of miles in the Queensland heat and it was gone midday so we decided to go and get some lunch at a cafe near to the Curtis Falls. We both had a salad and a coffee before going to the start of our next walk. There were quite a lot more cars in the car park and more people around. We went to the loo before we got on our way and a man pointed out a wolf spider, which was about four inches across, on the inside of the door of the men's (fortunately). We were told that it wasn't dangerous but later research suggested that although they are not particularly aggressive you wouldn't want to be bitten by one.


Slightly wary we began our walk, initially intending to just go to the Curtis Falls lookout to take some photographs before returning,


but in the end we did an additional walk along the creek track. At one point there was a lot of noise coming from the top of some of the gum trees, which indicated that's there was a large colony of fruit bats. We spent some time watching them and taking pictures.


Shortly after that we crossed over the creek and walked as near as we could to the end of the footpath were there was a boulder crossing. This return track ran much nearer to the road and so we decided to return the way we had come back.


We had now walked more than four miles and were feeling a bit tired. We were aware that it wouldn't be that long before it started to get dark. Despite this we drove further up the Cedar Creek to what was a short and easy grade walk. By this time Nigel's hip was starting to play up a bit so he waited in the car while I went to look at the falls. I initially intended to just go as far as the lookout, but the falls were probably the most spectacular we had seen that day and so I went down the 70 to 80 steps to get down to some creek pools which are popular swimming spots particularly in the summer.


I had been walking for about 45 minutes by this stage so quickly made my way back to the car park where Nigel was waiting for me. We drove back to the bed and breakfast and relaxed for a while before taking the easy option and going out for a meal at Clancy's as we had the night before.

Posted by Gill's Travels 02:56 Archived in Australia Tagged australia tambourine_mountain

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.